Monday, September 13, 2010

Let's Talk Soup

When I was growing up, it was always a Saturday tradition for my mom to make a big pot of soup for us to eat on Saturday. Normally my mom would always save the left over pot roast, beef tip, swiss steak, etc. broth and meat that we had for a previous dinner and freeze it. Then on Saturday, she would use the meat and broth as a base for her soup. She would always add a can of crushed rotel to go with the meat base because my mom and I always like our soup a little on the spicy side!! She would then add everything but the kitchen sink to the soup! Ok not literally, but she would always add a few potatoes, carrots, pasta/rice, and then whatever left over veggies we had hanging out in the fridge from the past weeks suppers...okra, cabbage, peas, corn, green beans...you never knew what might end up in our Saturday Soup! My mom would add the ingredients and I was the OFFICAL TASTE TESTER! LOL! Sometimes we would miss the mark and they weren't too good...but most of the time they were amazingly great!!!!! This is something that I loved my mom doing when I was at home and you can bet if I am ever at home on a Saturday, I am requesting soup!!

Last night I made soup for Mitch and myself! I had left over swiss steak gravy and meat in the freezer...I added a can of crushed rotel (that is the secret ingredient that makes it sooo good!), left over potato and carrot chunks that had marinated in Italian dressing from Saturday night's dinner, onions, some frozen corn, and rice!! I let it simmer all together for a while, and then we enjoyed it with saltine crackers. It was super yummy!!! Although Luci is too young to currently enjoy soup (especially spicy soup), I hope that I can pass on this weekend tradition that my mom started with me to her someday! It's those little special traditions that we can share and pass on that make life really special! Thanks Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment