I had my first (hoping it's my last, but not holding my breath...more on that later...) phone call to Poison Control this weekend. This should not happen in my household. We are child-proofed, and I watch my kid (generally) like a hawk. (Yes, I know, the toothbrushes, towel, and shoes in the toilet speak differently) I mean what else do I have to do? ...it's not like I have laundry, cooking, and cleaning to do. No but seriously, she is rarely out of my sight. Yes, I know. I'm a rookie and all of you mothers of multiple children are laughing at me...but seriously, like a hawk.
So what is the story you ask???
I had left a bottle of TUMS sitting out on the kitchen bar (said TUMS are not child-proof) just close enough to the edge that she could just tip-toe and reach them. How did this all go down? I'll replay.
Mitch and I decide to lay back down for a few minutes before we had to get ready for church on Sunday. Luci was happily playing "baby" in the living room...
Me: Mitch, it's quiet.
Mitch: Yup...
Me: Too quiet. Luci...
*Silence...
Mitch: Luciiii...
*Silence...
Me: Luci Ava Minnick get in here right now.
*Luci runs in to the bedroom happily chopping on something.
Me: Luci, what is in your mouth.
Luci: Cereal
Me: Cereal? From where?
*Mitch and I jump up thinking the kitchen floor is going to be piled up with fruit loops. We walk into the living room and Luci proudly hands me the container of TUMS.
Luci: Cereal! (She proudly says)
Me & Mitch: AHHH SPIT IT OUT NOW SPIT IT OUT RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW HOW MANY OF THESE DID YOU EAT SPIT IT OUT COME ON ALL OF IT WHERE DID YOU GET THIS SPIT IT OUT HOW MANY KEEP SPITTING.
I analyzed the container and, knowing that she was only out of our sight for less than 2 minutes, eventually decided she only had eaten one...BUT just in case, I called Poison Control. Just in case you were wondering, you apparently can eat 30-40 of those and have no reaction. So we were in the clear.
Lesson Learned: Remember to put all meds back in the locked cabinet.
Back to the whole "hoping it's my last, but not holding my breath..."... Mitch apparently was quite the ornery child. He sampled some Comet Cleaner with his sister AND drank a bottle of perfume. Again...hoping it's my last, but not holding my breath...
My little brother drank gasoline once... Thought it was tea!
ReplyDelete