Well at any rate, we knew it was something that needed to go...and it was time.
I have never been one to say well, at 9 months old it has to go. Or, by a year old we are throwing them away. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just wasn't for us. For us, it was a comfort. Luci felt comfort in her paci because it was something that was always there for her when we couldn't be...and it was a comfort for Mitch and I because we knew she had something that was security for her (and let's be honest, sometimes it is just nice to plug the hole. It was our little mute button. lol!). We are away from her for around 10 hours every week-day...and y'all, that is hard stuff. We wanted her to have that comfort there when she needed it.
Well, over the summer we had slowly just stopped taking it to daycare. She stopped asking for it and according to her teachers, never needed it and at naptime, never asked for it. So, after we started thinking about it we were like well, we wanted her to have it for comfort...obvisioulsy she is perfectly comfortable at daycare without it. We are with her at home and that in itself should be comfort enough. So...let's get rid of it.
Luci is a stubborn, strong willed child (no clue where that comes from!) and we knew no game or story would work with her. The only way would be cold turkey. So a week ago on Sunday night, we told her that her paci's were going bye-bye and that she was a big girl and didn't need them anymore...and then the tears began. She only cried for about 10 minutes or so (while hugging her Maggie Bear close to her) and then she fell asleep. The next night she cried for about 15 minutes...and then the 3rd night had no tears at all.
Where are we a week later? Still no tears at bedtime, but she is still waking up some in the night. She isn't specifically asking for her paci, I just think she is having trouble figuring out how to soothe herself to sleep. Mitch and I are still throwing her in bed with us when she needs it (we will work on that when we feel like we need to)
So, I think I can safely say now WE DID IT!!! She isn't asking for it and aside from a few night-time wake-ups, and a few tears from me, we are good!! Our little girl is growing up!
The first time Momma gave her a paci. *Sniffle from me
One of the last nights with her paci
Momma and Daddy throwing away the first batch of paci's.
No More Paci!
By the way, she found a paci last night underneath the couch (yeah, I'm not Mom of the Year when it comes to sweeping underneath the couch) and she was fine. We told her to go throw it away and she did...and then went straight back to playing!




So proud! That is tough stuff... even for mommies and daddies.
ReplyDeleteWhen this time comes for me I may need some ecouragement, so I'll find you. Also, I actually saw a paci at Blessed Baby the other day that actually sais "Mute Button". Too funny!
ReplyDelete