Fingers crossed. Hopes not up too high. I think it worked. I had two surgeries with-in two months this summer to help "fix" some severe sinus problems I had been having. I have had horrible allergies my entire life... as evidenced by my previous post. The allergies ended up causing havoc within my sinuses which resulted in reoccuring sinus infections (basically I had one big one for almost a year), reoccuring bronchitis, and horrible, awful ear pain and migraines. Yeah, it was the best year EVER!!!!
So, this summer I had sinus surgery, had the rest of my adenoids removed (don't ask why they weren't all removed 6 years ago when I had my tonsils out), and had tubes put in my ears. The goal was to basically allow me to get a regular cold and my body be able to fight it off on its own with medical intervention (i.e. antibiotics). Before, a little cold would send me straight into an awful sinus infection (because my severe allergies had caused some major trouble within my sinuses) and have me wiped out for 2-3 weeks...and if I was lucky, it wouldn't turn into bronchitis. Most of the time, I wasn't lucky.
So, I started feeling bad about a week or so ago...achey, congested, headache, slight chills, and pretty much bad all over. You know what, I think I am going to be ok! I have "treated" myself just like any other person would with a cold (fluids, nasal rinses, ibprofen, rest, etc)...and I am starting to feel a little better!!! 2 months ago, I would have definitely been in my doctor's office getting a round, probably 2 rounds, of antibiotics and possibly steroids. I think my surgeries worked!!
Now, don't get me wrong. There probably will be times that I will require antibiotics just like anyone else would. The point is that I should be able to fight off a regular cold like anyone else (i.e. my sinuses properly drain and my adenoids aren't constantly infected).
I've had people ask me "well, I thought the surgery was supposed to fix your allergies". No, allergies and sinus infections are two different things. Nothing will ever "fix" my allergies. I can only help treat them.
But so far, I am happy. If these surgeries will help keep me out of my doctor's office, then I consider it a win!
No comments:
Post a Comment